Thursday 22 January 2009

A prophet or a self-fulfilling prophecy?


Tupac Shakur was an incredibley talented and versitaile artist. Perhaps the greatest thing about him was his honesty as a human being, he was good bad, creative, destructive, he personified the entire human spectrum. Many people didn't not see this talent due to the gangsta rap image he went out of his way to create in order to hide his entirely intense female side.

There are many conspiracey theories regarding 2pac's death. For those of you that aren't familiar with his work, 2pac predicted his own death in his lyrics on a very regular occasion, he even acted it out in an extremely eiree music video "I ain't mad at cha". This is why he spent so much time in the studio and that over 10 years after his death he still has material being released. A year or two before he died, Tupac changed his name to Makaveli. It is a common misconception that Machiavelli faked his own death. There is no historical evidence that he did, despite this the connections were made and motives were established for this change of identity.

Are people that predict these kind of things tuned into the future, or are they simply creating it out of the need for attention or creative frustration? Or is there another link between creative writing and an ability to predict the future events?

In the event of my Demise
when my heart can beat no more
I Hope I Die For A Principle
or A Belief that I had Lived 4
I will die Before My Time
Because I feel the shadow's Depth
so much I wanted 2 accomplish
before I reached my Death
I have come 2 grips with the possibility
and wiped the last tear from My eyes
I Loved All who were Positive
In the event of my Demise


I recommend you check out a film called Gridlock'd starring Tim Roth and Tupac, he was an extremely talented actor who was just reaching his peak when he died! Tupac had an incredible talent for poetry, obviously as he wrote rap lyrics for a career. He has had several books of poems published that would surprise many, some dedicated to his mother, one dedicated to Marilyn Monroe.

If in my quest 2 achieve my goals
I stumble or crumble and lose my soul
Those that knew me would easily co-sign
There was never life as hard as mine
No father-no money-no chance and no guide
I only follow my voice inside
if it guides me wrong and I do not win
I'll learn from mistakes and try 2 achieve again.


Some more of his poetry here if you care to read it here

My favourite Tupac story was told by one of his entourage. Tupac was in the car listening to music and a young hip-hop fan of his came jogging up alongside the car to greet him. "What's this?" the guy said reffering to the music he was listening to. "Oh just the radio" replied Tupac. It wasn't the radio, it was a cranberries cd he liked.

I think this story beatifully illustrates his issues with worrying about his image and how it was one of his greatest qualities aswell as his biggest downfall.

1 comment:

  1. Always loved your views on Tupac. You understand the alienated man, who taps into the feminine within him, and becomes a midwife to creativity. Beautiful post, Martin!

    ReplyDelete