Thursday 26 February 2009

The never ending days of being dead - Marcus Chown

This morning at around 6am I would have like to have been asleep. Instead, I was finishing of one of the most enjoyable books I have read, that being Marcus Chown's "The never ending days of being dead"

The most interesting part of this book for me was learning about the concept of the "Omega Point Universe" This being a universe which contracts faster in one direction than all other directions. In such a universe, the temperature difference grow without limit, enabling an infinite amount of information processing before the universe ends in the Omega Point

I loved Chapter 11 - "The never ending days of being dead" and plan to look up more material from Frank Tipler as soon as possible. This particular concept is extremely similar to Anthony's Theory in many ways. Chown explores the possibility that we may already be in a computer generated reality brought about by the future fate of the universe.

I was also fascintated to learn more about "Omega" That being a number that cannot be generated by a computer programme shorter than itself. Far more interesting that I first anticipated. Chown's style of wrirting is so addictive and so easy to understand, he makes it enjoyable to learn as he has a great sense of humour about the topics he discusses.

Interesting insights also into the opinion that we should be searching for E.T in the computer rather than the universe. The entire book was an absolute pleasure, every bit as educational and enjoyable as "The universe Next Door". I will definately go out and get a copy of "Quantum Theory cannot hurt you" as soon as possible.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks! It's really good to know that you liked my book!

    Best wishes,
    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way!!!! I love your writing, I think it's very easy to wrestle with! Are you familiar with Anthony Peake and his work? If not, please take a look a his site, the link is at the bottom of the page. Anthony tells me he has been in e-mail contact with you, His Cheating the Ferryman theory is very similar to the arguments you put forward. Anyway, Ttank you so much for commenting on my blog, truely an honour to have you post here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Hurlyburly,

    Glad you like my writing! I have to admit steam was coming out of my ears trying to get to grips with Gregory Chaitin's Omega. But, like you, I think it's the most amazingly mind-blowing concept: a single number which contains within it the answers to all the questions you can ever ask about the Universe! Yes, Anthony Peake has e-mailed me but I have not yet read any of his stuff. I will now.

    It's so good when people like you write to say they enjoyed my books (I also do that to authors whose books I like). So, thanks again!

    Best wishes,
    Marcus

    PS
    If you have the time, would you mind posting part or all of your comments on the Amazon site for "The Never-Ending Days of Being Dead"? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Marcus,

    I will post it on Amazon tonight when I get a chance. I read "The Universe Next Door" a year ago while I was Traveling in New York and I loved it, genuinely loved every page of it. I hope you enjoy Anthony's Work. He has had two books published now, I'm pretty certain you will enjoy much of what he has to say. Hope to read your other books asap, I'm currently working my way through a huge to-read pile, half way through VALIS right now! Unfortunately the pile is growing faster than I can keep up with! it's Kind of like the story about Bill Gates being richer than gravity? Apparently if Bill Gates took all of the money he has and stuffed it under his bed, if he fell out of bed, because of the interest he accumulates, he would never hit the ground - Richer than gravity!

    Hope to hear from you soon, would be honoured if you'd subscribe here so I can keep you posted on my thoughts regarding your other work?

    Anyway, All the best Marcus, thanks again for the reply.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Martin,

    Thanks for posting your comments on Amazon. Much appreciated!

    Best wishes,
    Marcus

    PS
    I like the idea of Bill Gates being richer than gravity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a problem. Having spoken to Anthony (Peake) I know both he and I would be honoured if you would take a browse of the Forum sometime and maybe even contribute. His work and yours have such marvellous similarities and I'm confident you will like what you see. Anyway, thanks again for dropping by!

    Martin

    ReplyDelete