Friday 5 March 2010

Everybody's Fine


Family is important. So people keep telling me. I don't have a particularly close family and I'm OK with that. I function perfectly well as a human being. I think. I will say though, this is the first film to really make me actually stop and think about this, properly. Father-Son scenes always seem to get me a little. It's disgraceful and I'm completely ashamed of myself, but I got very teary eyed during "The pursuit of happiness" Damn you Will Smith. Damn your quivering lips and puppy-dog eyes.

This film didn't have quite the same effect on my eyes but as I said, It did make me stop and think. My own mother lives in Spain and we rarely see her. My little sister hasn't spoken to her in about 8 years and I know she will regret this one day, such Is life.

The reason this film works is because De Niro is able to evoke real empathy for his character. Essentially, the role he's playing is one of a father who has pushed his children too far in life. Over the years of cinema this has often been a rather hated father figure type. But because we see it through the eyes of such an amazing actor, we understand he had the best of intentions. It is, at times, a rather sad and depressing film, but as an entire film it is actually quite inspiring for families that aren't close to realise how lucky they are.

It has similarities, in places, to the film "Flowers" with Bill Murray. A road trip with a goal will undoubtedly result in lessons being learned along the way. Although the ending of the film seems like a rather obvious place to finish, it also has the appeal of a new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment