Saturday 27 June 2009

Farewell to Michael Jackson - The world's brightest star will shine forever.



It's been a strange few days for me. I never thought I'd ever become one of those silly people that get so upset over the death of a celebrity but Michael Jackson was a little bit more than that. Anybody in my general age bracket will recall his music throughout their childhood, he gave his so we could have ours in a way. What's upset me the most are all of the cruel and judgemental things being said upon his death. The man was never proven to have done anything. Even if he eventually is, I still don't subscribe to the levels of hatred that people choose to throw his way even before that day has come, or indeed after. Compassion is something he had and it's something the world needs to learn in order to deal with some of it's biggest problems. One person I know wrote "Paedophiles don't go to heaven" Aside from the fact that I don't believe in heaven and hell for many reasons including very problematic issues of morality and judgement, this is just blind hate. It gives no consideration for his kids that are left behind and that in itself is self-defeating and contradicting, if people really cared about the well being of children so much they wouldn't put so much hatred into the world.

Now this is very strange for me. I do, despite this level of compassion, have a very sick sense of humour. But that's because it's humour, the intention is to devalue meaning, some people actually seriously believe some things that are so simplistic it worries me. I actually cried for about 5 minutes watching some of his videos and this in itself tells me something.

The world is essentially just energy. There is positive and negative energy. Now people will say to me that I didn't know him the same way I will tell them the same thing, but you can just sense watching his videos that this man was a kind and gentle soul. The thing that really broke my heart was something my friend Nathan said: "He died thinking the world hated him" This is possibly one of the most upsetting things I think I've ever heard. To think what may have been going through his mind over the past few years is simply upsetting.

I grew up watching his videos, listening to his music, but the most influential thing of all was his dancing. Michael Jackson taught me how to dance and for that I will always love him. You have to be in the moment to be a dancer, you have to be one with the world and understand rhythm.Michael was rhythm, he made the beat come alive.

Thanks for everything you put out into this world Michael, your star will always shine. They can't hurt you now.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful image, and lovely and soaring verbiage, Martin. You are more moral than those who consider themselves so, as Nietzsche would put it. Michael is indeed a shining star and must certainly cast his light toward you today. Bravo, sweet Brit-Boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was unaffected by his death until I read this Martin. My eyes welled up and I had to leave the room, should my parents see me crying over this I would have been subjected to unbearable amounts of taunting for the next five weeks, as they are an insensitive bunch. You have dedicated such a beautiful piece of writing to Michael and if he could read this, he would certainly know that the world did not hate him, for you are just one person that cared enough to write a moving piece about his influence on you, but there are millions of others who have felt and done the same, and the world cannot hate someone when there is still love and admiration out there too.

    In my mind, it takes just one person with all the love and respect in the world to bring down so many of the haters. His death has inspired so many people, like you, to write and dedicate memorable perspectives, which in turn makes some of the people that were unaffected, such as myself, change their whole outlook.

    His death is bringing the whole world together. The haters and the admirers have all been united over the last few days because of one person: Michael Jackson. Unfortunately, the World lost an amazing artist to make this happen.

    Lots of love from your girl over in Pound Hill xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem written by Michaael Jackson seems like an apt tribute, based on your comments Martin.

    Dancing the Dream

    Consciousness expresses itself through creation
    This world we live in is the dance of the creator
    Dancers come and go in the twinkling of an eye but the dance lives on
    On many occasions when I'm dancing,I've felt touched by something sacred,
    In those moments, I've felt my spirit soar and become one with everything that exists
    I become the stars and the moon
    I become the lover and the beloved
    I become the victor and the vanquished
    I become the master and the slave
    I become the singer and the song
    I become the knower and the known
    I keep on dancing and then, it is the eternal dance of creation
    The creator and the creation merge into one wholeness of joy
    I keep on dancing and dancing....and dancing, until there is only...the dance...

    Michael Jackson

    There are some other pieces from his Dancing the Dream book here:
    http://www.steady-laughing.com/dtd.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this, a really nice read

    ReplyDelete